Sunday, February 8, 2009

g - Sea of Cortez......


This just gets better and better....... in Mexico, hooked on gold
beaches, open roads and margaritas! We left Ceilito Lindo at around
8am - this seems to be a common time for us to have everything ready
and to head out. This leg of the road was long and the roads narrow
and the end point awesome, or so we heard, so off we went. The roads
are incredibly narrow with the motor home literally filling our lane
and the truckers not too worried if they stay on their side or not.
The road also ends, with no discussion, at the white line on the
outside of the road - my side. And here I hope to leave the 'road
discussion'. Its given me very sweaty palms and I swear I have lost 5
pounds through my hands..... I do not make a good passenger at all and
I often have my fist stuck in my mouth so as not to squeak too loudly
or too often. I have since discovered that if I simply look away or
close my eyes that I don't worry as much. Do you know how hard that
is?? There are cats eyes or bumps on the center lane and on the
outside white line so we have this endless thunk thunk thunk happening
as we trundle along at about 40 miles per hour average - its a
glorious sound compared to when I dont here it! LOL. Ok - the road is
narrow, lousy, small, too small and I am never going to be happy about
it. As I said - I will try to make this the last of that part of the
trip....

The scenery is just stunning - we drove down past the most incredible
untouched and totally empty beaches to and through El Rosario where
we took a turn to the east along Mex 1 across the peninsula. The
mountains are not serious at all, rather just rolling beautiful green
hills with farms dotted inbetween all over the place. We went through
a military checkpoint again......they don't worry too much, this time
the guy came inside and did a quick check through. He asked our names,
where we are going, whether we had grandchildren - well I think that
was his question.. and went on his way. He had a lovely smiley face
and was very friendly. There are a good few guys in uniform, all
importantly caressing huge guns, but none looking much interested in
us at all.

We say two coyote that ran across the road in front of us and many
many different varieties of cactus. They are humongeous! There are
so many different types and they are all mixed in together. I would
hate to be a pioneer here! One part of the journey across was through
what they call the Boulder Fields........ Its quite amazing. Huge
boulders with cactus of all sorts growing absolutely everywhere. We
had almost solid rain all the way across and the cactus and boulders
rose into a misty scene in front of us - never ending, yet absolutely
awesome. There were many that had names, messages and adverts spray
painted on them, but somehow it was not offensive at all... Just added
to the color of everything else around here.

It's strange how one minute the cactus are towering over one and the
next minute there is just flat lands, or mountains with this ribbon of
a road winding its way through it. And then we popped out of the
other side and the Sea of Cortez was in front of us, with its islands
lit up with the sun peering through the clouds! It was one awesome
sight! Of course the camera came to life and clicked away with little
encouragement. I have to admit to sitting up and sighing in relief
after a good 6 hour drive with few breaks. The Mex 1 has no pull off
places and the little towns are so crowed and busy that one hardly
wants to get their hopes up by pulling off anywhere just to take a
break! The road the leads off from the Mex 1 hwy to Bahia de Los
Angeles - ok - pronounce it with me......... BAH-HEE-AH DAY LOES AHN-
HAIL-ACE. No, no - try again.........yeah -thats it! :) Ok, as I was
saying, the road from the Mex 1 to .......say it again........ is a
newer road with a good few places to pull over, which we did. We made
coffee, took the doglets for a walk and got rained on - twas good.

And then we pulled into Daggetts Campground where the pelicans were
hanging around, eager for a fish handout from the guys cleaning their
catch of the day. They are beautiful - no no - not the fishermen!
The pelicans stood in line, literally and the gulls wheeled overhead
screeching loudly and everything and anything. One dared not look
up...... The tidal pools called me loudly and I wandered across there
immediately. Oh how I love those pools with all their treasures.
There were pink things, green stuff, orange growths, sea urchins,
stars that seemed to have a gazillion legs and things that spouted
water at me as I picked my way across the sharp rocks. It was simply
glorious. My feet in the Sea of Cortez - just the thought brought
mist to my eyes! I could not drag myself away from there until I cut
my finger open trying to get a muscle out of the sand.... he was well
imbedded and still is. Not a bad cut, but it needed to be cleaned so
I ambled back to the rv, dripping blood along the way. Ah well.

We were both so tired that we went to sleep when the sun set.. We
were invited by the crowd next door to join in their meal and party,
but we just did not have the energy and it was good to lie down in a
warm cocoon and listen to everything going on without having to be
nice and polite. It poured with rain all night long - each drop
sounding like a pebble dropping on the roof and the wind howled over
the mountain. They call it the 'gravity winds' screaming down into
the bay and boy did it wake us up plenty times. The rv shook and
rattled and shuddered all night long, but we did not float away. But
this morning, after looking at the clouds and the approaching band of
rain, we decided to head out to Guerro Negro, on the Pacific coast
again.

I like that it literally takes us 10 minutes to pack up and get going
- and we did. But not before I captured an incredible sunrise over
the bay......... yes, my dearest children - your mama was awake at
sunrise!! Oh it was something to see....... absolootle beautifull and
unforgettable and greatly photographed now. Last night when we went
for our beach walk and shell picking, there was a part of the sky that
held what seemed like a part of a rainbow. Lottie - I sent you a pic
of one of them I took in Alaska before....... This was the same and it
was beautiful, reflecting in the tidal pools and adding some magic to
the scenery. This morning when we left, there was another but in a
different place in the sky - really lovely.

And so we headed out again, back along the new road, Mex 12, and out
to Mex 1 again. The rain came down in buckets which effectively
parked the camera. They call rain here a "Baja Carwash". It did
knock much of the dust and dirt off, but filled the Vado's - those are
dips in the road that collect the rain water and make one wonder if we
can get through them. We did, none being too deep and the water had
not collected much by early morning yet.

So we trundled about 150 miles down the road to Guerro Negro.....
sometimes through thick cactus fields, sometimes with surprisingly
little to see, sometimes with the ocean in the distance and sometimes
with it close enough to hear, but no pull off place to stop. We
arrived here, stopped for gas, took a wrong turn and found ourselves
in a military establishment going down the wrong way on a one way
road. Sigh. A guy stopped us and said something that we could not
understand, then he shrugged and drove on, we turned around and found
the campground. No problemo..........

The food here is totally deelish! We decided to try a total fish
dinner - scallops, shrimp, fish and ............ I dont remember what
now, but it was good! The margarita's went down well too and the
total bill was around $27 US Dollars...... astounding. We then took
a walk in the town, Frank finding some tequila, me some chocolate
biscuits and we headed home again to take doglets out for a while. We
also booked a whale tour for tomorrow morning! I am so excited.
Camera batteries all charging and ready to go! We will be out there
with them for about 3 hours. Then back here to this campground for
tomorrow night and off to the Scammons Lagoon the next............
lots to tell about that one and one can apparently hear the whales all
night long from the campground which is literally right on the beach.

Right now my eyes are drooping, I have loaded some photos tonight and
will get the rest tomorrow, along with some good whale pics, I hope.
When you go to the link to the photos at the bottom of each email I
send, look on the left side of the page - there are all different
folders there with the photos in them.

This was yet another wonderful day - and I got to speak to all three
my 'kids' which just added to it all.....

love and light
Annie
http://photobucket.com/BajaBaggs09

No comments: